Auto create Dashboard when creating a new Project
- When you create a new Project, a Dashboard with seven pre-defined project specific gadgets will also be created.
It is currently not possible to change the pre-defined list of gadgets used.
- This feature is optional and is enabled in the web.config.
- When this option is enabled; after you create a new Project, a Dashboard is created along with three TQL’s and seven pre-defined gadgets.
If a System Admin is creating the Project, they will need to share the TQL’s and Dashboard created with the Project Lead / Manager.
1) Enable the feature in the web.config
2) Create a new project. The Dashboard and TQL’s are created.
3) If the user creating the project is a System Admin and not the Project Lead, then the TQL’s and Dashboard will need to be shared with the project lead.
Enabling feature in the web.config file
The web.config is located in the web subdirectory of the application installation path, which defaults to c:\Program Files (x86)\Catch Limited\Enterprise Tester\Web\ folder.
- Stop IIS
- Open the web.config file in a text editor.
- Locate the section starting with <appSettings>
- Add the following line under appsettings
- Save changes
- Restart IIS
Pre-defined project specific gadgets
The following are the seven gadgets that will be automatically created if the option is enabled in the web.config file.
Execution Status %- Pie Chart
Testing Progress – Gauge Chart
Execution Status by Tester – Grouped Bar Graph
Execution Status – Bar Graph
Requirements by Type – Pie Chart
Coverage by Priority – Bar Graph
Requirements Coverage – Pie Chart
When Project creator is System Admin
- TQL’s will be saved under Manage > My Queries for the user that created the project.
- The owner of the Dashboard will also be the user that created the project.
- In bigger organisations System Administrators , not Project Leads may create new Projects. If this is the case then the Project creator will need to perform some additional steps, so that the Project Lead has ownership of the Dashboard and TQL’s.
To ensure that the Dashboard is owned by the project lead;
1) Edit the Project
2) In the Project manager: field select the project lead user.
3) Select Save button.
TQL’s assigned to project lead
The System Admin needs to share the three TQL queries automatically created when the project is created.
1) Select Reports from the main menu
2) Click on the arrow to expand TQL
3) Double click on My Queries. The three TQL queries automatically created are displayed.
4) Double click on the first TQL Query. The query is displayed.
5) Select the Manage tab.
6) Select the Shared: checkbox.
7) Select the Save button.
8) Select My Queries (on the left hand side). There is now only two TQL queries displayed as the other one has been Shared and is no longer under Shared Queries.
9) Repeat steps 4 – 7 for the remaining two queries.
Project Lead steps
Once the System Admin has Shared the TQL queries the Project Lead / Manger then needs to take ownership of the queries so they are no longer shared.
The reason you don’t want the TQL queries to be shared with everyone is because users will then have the ability to delete the queries ( as there are no permissions on TQL queries).
1) Login to Enterprise Tester as the Project Lead
2) Select Reports from the main menu
3) Click on the arrow to expand TQL
4) Double click on Shared Queries. The three TQL queries are displayed.
5) Double click on the first TQL Query. The query is displayed.
6) Select the Manage tab.
7) De-Select the Shared: checkbox.
8) Select My Queries (on the left hand side). The first TQL is now dislayed in My Queries and is no longer under Shared Queries.
9) Repeat steps 5 – 8 for the remaining two queries.
Sharing the dashboard with other users & groups
To enable other users or groups to see the Dashboard you need to share the Dashboard with them.
1) Select Manage from the Dashboards menu
Manage Dashboards will be displayed.
2) Highlight the Dashboard you want to share and click
Dashboard Properties pop up will be displayed.
3) In the View only: field select the users or groups that you want to share the Dashboard with.
4) Select Save button
TQLs created for Dashboard
- TQL’s are saved under Manage > My Queries for the user that created the project. If the user is a System Admin and not the Project Lead then see Project creator is System Admin.
- The following three queries are created. These queries are used to create the pre-configured gadgets on the Dashboard.
- The name of the query is prefixed with the Project Name and then Project, to show that it is a query auto-created when creating a new project.